Farber is an independent business advisory firm that provides practical solutions to complex financial and operating problems. We have a reputation for responsiveness and a track record of helping our clients achieve their objectives and overcome challenges.
We successfully partner and work with the leadership of North American companies, their advisors, lenders, and other professionals. Our diverse team of business-savvy experts operate seamlessly to provide services across the areas of restructuring, financial, human capital, and consulting.
With offices in Toronto, across Ontario, Calgary and Vancouver, Farber is positioned to advise businesses across Canada. Our global alliance extends our reach and provides opportunities in North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and beyond, reflecting the increasingly global nature of business. Established in 1979, Farber continues to grow by fostering an unparalleled collaborative approach and by actively aligning interests with our clients.
Making business work better, together.™
We are currently seeking a Corporate Insolvency Administrator to join our 150 York Street office in Toronto. Candidates with prior administrative experience will be considered an asset. The successful candidate should have a strong background as an executive assistant and/or legal administrative experience.
Insolvency Administration Duties:
General Administration Duties:
- Administration of insolvency proceedings including inputting creditor and debtor details, assets, preparation of documents, filing documents with the Official Receiver, managing deadlines, organizing mailings and newspaper advertisements, preparing affidavits, maintaining insolvency computer-based data
- Answering creditor enquiries and dealing with creditor claims
- Assistance with the preparation of reports to creditors, attendance at meetings of creditors and inspectors (as required), preparation of minutes and general file review to ensure all outstanding matters are dealt with prior to assigning to closeout.
- Dealing with other reporting in accordance with the Bankruptcy & Insolvency Act, as well as various other government reporting requirements such as the Wage Earner Protection Program Act.
- Other support functions on insolvency engagements such as insurance filings, accounts receivable collection, financial reporting, screening related mail and responding accordingly or seeking instructions from file manager, etc.
- Dealing with other professionals involved in the proceedings such as legal counsel, appraisal companies, interested parties, etc.
- Managing the firm’s website for dissemination of information and documents on insolvency engagements.
- Preparation of billings for professional services rendered and the taxation of accounts by the Court.
- Large project organization and processing including liaising with onsite staff or outside professionals.
- Managing and tracking section 246 reports required in Receiverships.
- Dealing with receipt and distribution of OSB Certificates and Letters of Comment.
- Perform PPSA and corporate searches as required.
- Managing the Restructuring Practice Engagements Schedule
- Scheduling and organizing appointments, travel plans, meetings and lunches for professional staff.
- Preparation of various correspondence, reports and presentations and assisting professional staff with weekly time entry if requested.
- Dictation typing.
- Managing the monthly Restructuring meeting including preparing Agenda and Minutes.
- Records and File Management including managing contract with provider.
- Managing Data Site contract with provider and creating and updating Data Rooms as required.
- Assisting all practice areas with any administrative tasks required (i.e. invoices, engagement letters, presentations, etc.).
- Registering staff for various educational conferences and marketing events and tracking of same for reporting purposes.
- Sharing responsibilities in some event planning and other general marketing related activities.
- Providing back up and temporary relief of reception duties including lunch breaks, couriers, greeting guests, processing and distributing daily mail, cleaning up kitchen and meeting rooms, etc.
- Other tasks assigned as required
- Five years of work experience, preferably in a small/medium sized company or professional services firm, with strong administrative skills and a focus on client service
- Prior experience as a Legal Assistant or Law Clerk would be considered an asset
- College Diploma in Office Administration or legal background would be an asset
- Confidence in interacting with all levels of management and with external clients
- Professional, upbeat and positive attitude is key to success
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn and be part of a team
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in insolvency administration; in particular candidates who have completed or enrolled in the Insolvency Administration Course with the Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP)
- Candidates proficient with the Ascend (Insolvency Related) software program will also be give preference
- Strong computer related proficiencies, including Microsoft Office/365 (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Excellent organization and communication skills, including the ability to write and express yourself verbally in a professional manner.
- Ability to work in a team environment and be able to adjust to various types of tasks/demands quickly.
- Ability to work independently and with little supervision to accomplish tasks/demands adequately and efficiently.
- Time management skills including the ability to prioritize multiple and sometimes conflicting demands and often work under time pressures and deadlines.
- Detail oriented skills.
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
To ensure we attract and retain top talent, we offer competitive compensation and benefits which we continually review and update to meet the evolving needs of our people.
As a part of our team, you will receive:
• hybrid work arrangements
• vacation days based on experience and years of service
• wellness days
• extended health and dental coverage
• life insurance
• long-term disability
• employee contributed retirement savings plan option
• financial support for professional development
• employee Assistance Program and mental health resources
• exclusive access to perks and discounts
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity
At Farber, we’re in the business of helping people—and this ethos extends not only to our clients, but to our employees, partners, and the communities in which we work. Behind IDEA is our commitment to take action and to deliver an inclusive, diverse, and equitable experience for everyone. Our commitment also shapes our corporate culture and hiring practices.
Farber encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the diversity of Canada.
- if you require any accommodations throughout the recruitment process—including alternate interview formats, accessible materials, or any other accommodations—we encourage you to contact us at email@example.com.
We thank all candidates for submitting their resume, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.